November’s Public Genomics Café will focus on cancer. Register for the virtual café: http://rb.gy/j8ksks
Register via Eventbrite to receive the joining link and instructions: shorturl.at/xFIRZ
Join us for a FREE public talk on Genetics and Human Evolution from Professor Matthew Cobb, University of Manchester. This lecture is part of the Cardiff University School of Medicine Science in Health Public Lecture Series. Further details here
The Wales Gene Park Annual Report 2020 – 2021 is now available here
Register for the café: https://rb.gy/ew3mdi
Book your place via: http://rb.gy/iii4s6
Now in its 12th year, Wales Gene Park’s Schools’ Genetics & Genomics Roadshow has gone virtual for the first time!
What is the Roadshow?
- The Roadshow offers free talks to your school or college’s year 12 & 13 biology/science students
- During the live roadshow sessions expert speakers (usually two per event) will speak on topics related to DNA, genetics & genomics, presenting cutting-edge advances in these areas and discussing careers. Each talk is around 20 minutes with time for questions – the roadshow lasts up to an hour (we will try our best to tailor events to any specific needs/timings you may have)
- If you have any particular subjects you would like to hear about, please let us know. We will try and provide talks on preferred topics, however choices cannot be guaranteed as they will depend on speaker availability
- Events will take place in autumn term 2021 and spring term 2022
How can I take part?
To register your interest in having a roadshow & receive a booking form email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored by Mark Isherwood MS
Join Genetic Alliance UK and supporters to learn more about the work of the Cross Party Group on Rare, Genetic & Undiagnosed Conditions and how the new UK Framework for Rare Diseases aims to improve the lives of those affected by rare conditions.
Speakers will include patients and families affected by rare conditions and clinicians sharing their perspective on how the Framework can make an impact in Wales. The session will cover:
- diagnosis of rare conditions and how genomics is transforming healthcare
- education of health professionals and coordination of care
- access to specialist care, treatment and drugs
Please email Emma Hughes: email@example.com to express an interest in attending the briefing session and to receive joining instructions.
Briff Seneddol Rhithwir ar Amodau Prin, Genetig a Heb Ddiagnosis
Nodwch y Dyddiad! Dydd Mercher 30 Mehefin, 12pm – 1.20pm
Noddir gan Mark Isherwood MS
Ymunwch â Genetic Alliance UK a chefnogwyr i ddysgu mwy am waith y Grŵp Trawsbleidiol ar Gyflyrau Prin, Genetig a Heb Ddiagnosis a sut mae Fframwaith newydd y DU ar gyfer Clefydau Prin yn anelu at wella bywydau etholwyr y mae’r cyflyrau hyn yn effeithio arnynt.
Bydd y siaradwyr yn cynnwys clinigwyr a chleifion a theuluoedd y mae cyflyrau prin yn effeithio arnynt yn rhannu eu persbectif ar sut y gall y Fframwaith gael effaith yng Nghymru. Bydd y sesiwn yn ymdrin â:
- diagnosis o gyflyrau prin a sut mae genomeg yn trawsnewid gofal iechyd
- gweithwyr proffesiynol iechyd a chydlynu gofal
- i ofal arbenigol, triniaeth a chyffuriau.
Ebostiwch Emma Hughes: firstname.lastname@example.org i fynegi diddordeb mewn mynychu’r sesiwn friffio a derbyn cyfarwyddiadau ymuno.
Are you affected by a rare or genetic condition? Are you a member of the public interested in finding out more about genomics and health? Join us for a Virtual Genomics Café! This initiative is being run by Wales Gene Park in collaboration with Genomics Partnership Wales. This specialist café – organised with Friends of Cymru Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia – will focus on haematology; specifically hereditary anaemias and iron overload. It will feature relaxed talks including:
- Funding and expansion of the service in Wales for Hereditary Anaemias: Dr Sian Lewis
- The Clinical Nurse Specialist role & services provided for hereditary anaemias and iron overload: Annette Blackmore
- Blood Transfusion for Hereditary Anaemias (the need, problems encountered and developments): Dr Keith Wilson
- Introduction to Friends of Cymru Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia: Faith Walker
The Haematology Café will be an informal opportunity to meet others, hear talks from experts and ask questions. It will also be a chance for people to come together and be supported by others in their communities. The café is FREE, but you will need to register via Eventbrite to receive the Zoom joining link and instructions.
Register for Haematology Café: https://rb.gy/7w4j8j
For further information email email@example.com
What is the Genomics Showcase?
Wales Gene Park is organising a new and exciting Genomics Showcase in collaboration with Genomics Partnership Wales. The Showcase was due to take place in Cardiff City Hall, however, the pandemic has forced a move to a virtual platform for delivery, so now you can join in from the comfort of your own home!
The event will showcase genomics and its potential to improve healthcare for the people of Wales. The event will be live from 10.00am until 7.00pm. You can join and leave as many times as you like during the day or stay logged-on for the duration!
Content will include:
This will be an arrival area for all participants. There will be notice boards and signs to the various elements on offer. To assist participants to gain the most from the event, there will also be an interactive Information Zone with latest info about proceedings and ‘what’s coming up’ notices. Enquiries about various aspects of the event will be dealt with at a Help Desk.
- A series of talks throughout the day
- A Genomics Café
- A Twilight Discussion
- An exhibition area with stands from various patient groups, charities etc
- A ‘Short Clips’ area – short films/animations on various genetics/genomics topics shown throughout the day
- Talks from key stakeholders and various other organisations
- An interactive games room with quizzes, puzzles and more
- Genomics Treasure Hunt
- DNA Extraction
This will be accessible to all but focussed towards students
- University stands
- Genomics careers information
Health Professionals & Researchers Zone
The zone will include:
- Four/five simultaneous events consisting of presentations and talks
- A Poster Hall where academic posters will be displayed and can be visited at any time. There will also be the opportunity for the best posters to be presented as talks.
- An Exhibition Area where companies will have virtual stands, accessible all day
There is something for everyone at this event, so please pass the information on to family, friends & colleagues!
Register for the Genomics Showcase here
If you would like any further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org